Vehicle Registration, Motorcycles and Mopeds
- Registration must be completed with the Area Vehicle Registration office within 10 days after purchasing, receiving from port, or delivered in house hold goods shipment, or otherwise legally acquired.
- All motorcycles/mopeds regardless of size of Cubic Centimeters (CC’s) must be registered at the Area VRO. All motorcycles/mopeds are issued a ROK license plate and issued a USFK vehicle access decal. Mopeds are two-wheeled motorized vehicles with an engine size of 49cc or less. Mopeds and motorcycles are required to display license plates. All rules regarding the operation of motorcycles also apply to mopeds.
- A motorcycle endorsement on a valid driver’s license is required for registration. In order to obtain a motorcycle endorsement on an issued USFK Form 134EK, all personnel must have a valid motorcycle operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement issued by the civil authorities of a country or by a U.S. State or territory of the United States. Additionally, military personnel must also show proof of completion of a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (DUSD)(I&E) endorsed, State-approved, curriculum for motorcycle operator’s safety training.
- Operators of mopeds are not required to obtain a valid U.S. state or territory motorcycle operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement. Military personnel operating a moped are not required to complete a MSF or DUSD (I&E) endorsed motorcycle training course.
- Any motorcycle/moped registration beyond the 2nd POV must be processed as an exception to policy.
Step 1. Gather the documents required for registering a
motorcycle or moped:
- Proof of insurance (insured’s name must match registered owner (unless Power of Attorney is used). Insurance company must be from the ROK (e.g. AIG, LIG) or USAA. Ensure Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) on the insurance documents is true and annotated correctly.
- Valid USFK 134EK Drivers License (orange DL card) with motorcycle endorsement. A valid stateside DL may be used if within thirty days of arrival to Korea, or valid ROK DL. NOTE: In order to obtain a motorcycle endorsement on an issued USFK Form134EK all personnel must have a valid motorcycle operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement issued by the civil authorities of a country or by a U.S. State or territory of the United States. Additionally, military personnel must also show proof of completion of a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) course or DUSD (I&E) endorsed, State-approved, curriculum for motorcycle operator’s safety training.
- Vehicle Title, previous registration, or bill of sale as proof of ownership.
- Import/customs shipping documents (Vehicle shipping forms).
- Valid DOD Identification (CAC, Military ID).
- Military Orders (Active Duty); Letter of Employment (DOD Civilians); Letter of accreditation and current 700-19 (Contractors).
- USFK Form 31EK-E (Application for Registration of USFK Privately Owned Vehicle). 31EK-E may be obtained from the DBIDS & Vehicle Registration Office located in Building 544; or the Pyeongtaek Vehicle Registration Office (DMV). Bldg 544 hours of operation are Mon-Fri 0800-1700. Pyeongtaek DMV hours of operation are 0900-1800, Mon-Fri.
Step 2. ROK vehicle registration (Kyongi-Do Province,
- Take all documents to the Pyeongtaek DMV to receive permanent (steel) license plate (12,800 WON) (Road Map to DMV).
- The Korean Registration Form and steel license plate is issued at the Pyeongtaek DMV. However, on Tuesdays, a DMV representative is available at DBIDS & Vehicle Registration Office, Bldg 544 to accept applications for registration/de-registration. Please contact the Vehicle Registration office at 753-6609 for additional information about this service, as there is a processing delay of 24 hours in completing the transaction.
- Obtain a USFK vehicle safety inspection if the vehicle is two or more years old of manufacture date. Vehicle safety inspections are conducted at the USAG Humphreys Auto Craft Shop, Bldg 2080.
- NOTE: Personnel have ten (10) days to have the motorcycle registered after purchasing, receiving from port, or delivered in house hold goods shipment, or otherwise legally acquired. Vehicles that are not registered within 10 days may acquire fines ranging from 50,000 WON to 100,000 WON.
Step 3. (Final Step) USFK Safety Sticker application (Registering
vehicle for access to USFK installations):
- After receiving permanent license plates and Korean Vehicle Registration, personnel then access the installation thru the USG Humphreys CPX Gate. There, personnel can obtain a one-day temporary installation pass (192EK) to report to the USAG-H Vehicle Registration Office, Bldg 544 for final vehicle registration in DBIDS, USFK Safety Decal application, and issuance of USFK Form 207 (Military Registration and Certificate of Title).
- Vehicle registration in DBIDS coincides with sponsor’s DEROS.
- Vehicle must be present at Bldg 544 during final registration. A DBIDS operator will issue USFK Safety Decal sticker.
- NOTE: To register a 2nd POV or authorization for E-6 and below to register a vehicle, please referenceException to Policy for Vehicle Registration. Only personnel assigned to USAG Humphreys may register at Bldg 544. Personnel assigned to Osan or Suwon must register their vehicle at Osan AFB.
- NOTE: SOFA member vehicle registration will occur at the Area VRO where the SOFA member is assigned. SOFA member vehicle registration may also occur at the Area VRO where the family members are assigned or are funded to reside, if family housing is not available in the Area where SOFA member is assigned.
- Vehicle registration in ROK is the Sponsor’s responsibility.
- Active Duty and GS civilian sponsors must present a valid USFK 134EK before the USFK vehicle registration decal is issued (DBIDS registration). Contractors present ROK driver’s license or international operators permit.