Motor Vehicles – Osan Air Base, Korea, Republic Of

Motor Vehicles – Osan Air Base, Korea, Republic Of

Driver’s License

US Forces personnel in Korea who wish to drive POVs must have a USFK driver’s license. Active duty military personnel, civilian employees and family members age 18 or older are required to take a written test to receive a USFK driver’s license. USFK people may operate a POV for 30 days with a valid stateside driver’s license.

Military people are issued a USFK driver’s license for two years, while DoD civilians are issued a five-year license. Family members age 16 and older may obtain a learner’s permit. This is good for driving only during daylight hours on military installations while accompanied by a licensed driver. The USFK driver’s license must be carried with you whenever you are driving.

Must have already viewed the Safety Driving film. This film is shown during the newcomers’ orientation. It is also shown every Friday at 9:00 a.m. in the Safety Office. You have to view this film in order to get the required USFK driver’s license. Please use a government computer and access the POV/GOV website to register for your licensing test.

You may reach the driver’s license section at 315-784-4568.

Motorcycle Operation

Currently motorcycle safety training is not available to Air Froce Personnel on the Korean Peninsula. If you are planning on operating a motorcycle while stationed in Korea, please complete an approved Motrocycle Safety Foundation course prior to your PCS. Contact your local safety office for assistance in scheduling this training. Questions regarding this matter or questions regarding motorcycle training requirements should be sent to 7 AF/SE. Please email or call DSN 315-784-2473.

Registering Vehicles on Base

The Osan Pass and ID office, located in Building 765, is open Monday through Friday 7:30 am until 3:30 pm. Telephone: 315-784-4489

In order to register an automobile at Osan you have to be an E-7 or above. There are some waivers granted but this is up to the discretion of the individual squadrons. In order to register a car at Osan you must get it inspected at the Base Exchange, Auto Hobby or any other place that is recognized by the Security Forces.

Each individual or family assigned to Korea may own only one vehicle, and it must be registered with a United States Forces Korea (USFK) Vehicle Recorder within 10 days of date of purchase or arrival in Korea. Mopeds and motorcycles are classified as a POV if over 50cc. Documents needed to register your vehicle include:

Identification Card
Proof of ownership
Proof of insurance
USFK Customs Import Document (3702-55B)
Valid USFK driver’s license
Copy of orders authorizing shipment or DD Form 788 (Private Vehicle Document.)
Vehicle Safety Inspection certificate within the past 90 days
To register a vehicle purchased in Korea you must present the same documents; however, you do not need to show the customs clearance documents or the orders authorizing shipment. The vehicle registration is good for one year. To renew it you must present a new vehicle safety inspection to the Security Forces Pass and ID Section. Safety inspections are available through AAFES service station or the Base Hobby Shop.

Hands-free Devices

Hands-free devices must be used while operating a motor vehicle on ALL military installations worldwide.

Automobile Insurance Requirements

The accident rate in Korea is high; consequently, the price you pay to insure your vehicle in Korea is high. You should check with your insurance agent about continued service in the ROK before your move. While insurance costs are high here, you will find using local companies is usually cheaper than most US companies. Insurance here is an absolute necessity. You cannot register your vehicle without it. Even if you could, you would be running an expensive and potentially career threatening risk. ROK law often demands high payment from individuals involved in an accident, especially when there is an injury or death. And most often, it does not matter who is at fault.

Picking Up Your Vehicle

Vehicles can be picked up and delivered at Seoul Vehicle Processing Center, located inside Camp Kim (Behind Yongsan USO), outside Gate #1, Yongsan Main Post.Once you are notified to pick up your vehicle, give the pick-up point another call (315-736-7086/736-7088) to let the people know that you will pick up your vehicle on that day. Although this is not required, it helps them schedule their workload and ensures that everything is ready when you arrive.

One of the most important things to do when you pick up your car is carefully and thoroughly inspect for damage. Verify the serial numbers on your tires and battery. Check the radio and other installed accessories to be sure nothing has been substituted. Although security at Transportation Motor pool is good, your car has traveled halfway around the world in various hands. Be sure to document any damage or theft before you leave.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *