Camp Humphreys / USAG Humphreys, Korea, Republic Of

printerprint friendly view (pdf)    Bookmark and Share    text size decrease increase

Motor Vehicles

Registration and licensing requirements

State laws vary when it comes to motor vehicle insurance requirements, licensing and registration. The term vehicle generally includes automobiles, motorcycles, vans, trailers and boats regularly parked or garaged overnight. Service members and their families will want to understand their state’s laws on registration and licensing before moving to a new state. Visit the Motor Vehicle Services page for links to state-specific websites.

Motor vehicle laws

State and local laws regulate the operation of motor vehicles, and these laws can vary by location. Many states regulate the following:

  • Seatbelt use
  • Child safety seats
  • Motorcycle operation
  • The use of cellphones and other digital devices while driving

Learn more about motor vehicle laws in your state at the State Laws page.

Installation Specific Information

Base Regulations

Privately Owned Vehicle Registration

Registering and operating a privately owned vehicle (POV) in USFK Camp Humphreys is a privilege not extended to all SOFA personnel assigned to the installation. In accordance with USFK Regulation 190-1 (Motor Vehicle Traffic Supervision), and agreements with our Host Nation, a POV may be owned and registered by:


  • Personnel in a command sponsored status regardless of grade.
  • Personnel in a joint domicile status authorized a POV on their orders; regardless of grade (i.e. Orders must specifically authorize the individual shipment of a POV or registration of POV).
  • A member of the U.S. Armed Forces in the grade of E-7 or above.
  • Department of Defense (DOD) civilian employees in the grades of GS-5, WG-5, WL-2, WS-1, NA-5 and CC-3 or equivalent and above; USFK technical representatives; and USFK Invited Contractors on USFK Form 700-19A-R-E provided they are first in possession of a Korean or International Drivers License.
  • U.S. citizens and third-country nationals employed in an official capacity by invited contractors who have SOFA Privileges.
  • Any member of USFK or its civilian component authorized shipment of a POV to the ROK at Government expense.


Non-SOFA personnel (vendor, Korean GS employees, ROK military, US Military Retiree etc) must receive approval to register a POV in accordance with procedures and limitations identified in USFK Regulation 190-7 (Installation Access Control System).

As verification of eligibility and SOFA status, the applicant must present a DOD issued I.D. card and one of the following documents:

  • -Assignment Orders (Military Personnel).
  • -Letter of Employment (GS Civilian, NAF employees).
  • -USFK Form 700-19A-R-E (Invited Contractors/Technical Representatives).

As a general policy, regardless of SOFA privilege status, only one POV per sponsor may be registered with a USFK

motor vehicle recorder. There is only one sponsor in a family. Families claiming dual sponsorship will provide the documents used to bring the persons to Korea (orders, employment contract, etc) which will be used to determine who the sponsor is. Where the movement document authorizes shipment of a POV to Korea at no expense to the individual, that person will be entitled to register a SOFA POV. DOD Dependents are not authorized vehicle registration in USFK.

Requests to register multiple vehicles within the family must follow procedures established in USFK Regulation 190-1 and the Area Commander. Please visit or stop into Bldg 544 (One-Stop) DBIDS and Vehicle Registration Office for information on registering a 2nd POV or requesting vehicle registration as a SSG and below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *